Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Blonde's Best Friend

If you're a blondie, like myself, this post is for you! If you're not a blondie, I'm sorry. 

 
Alright, my blonde sisters, lets talk purple shampoo! If you have never heard of purple shampoo, you need to read every single word of this post because it will change your life, and your golden locks, FOREVER!

What is purple shampoo? Only the best invention to ever grace the showers of us blonde women. We have all had those moments when we look in the mirror and notice that our blonde locks look a little...well...yellow. No one wants yellow hair! Enter purple shampoo! Purple shampoo deposits violet pigment into the hair to neutralize brassy tones in blonde, gray, and white hair. You may be asking yourself how does violet pigment neutralize brassy tones? The answer is simple! Color theory! (Which was explained to me during my years working in hair salons) Yellow and violet are across from each other on the color wheel (a.k.a. opposites...duh!) and therefore, cancel each other out.

The first time I was introduced to color shampoos in general was when I had the brilliant idea to go brunette. I was working at a salon at the time and had picked out a gorgeous auburn color. I was so excited to rock the dark locks when my hairstylist/co-worker and I found out my hair is extremely porous! This means my hair soaks up color. So instead of that gorgeous auburn color, my hair was awkward shades of black and orange. PERFECT! After hours of color correction, my co-worker sent me home with a bottle of Paul Mitchell color depositing shampoo for brunettes. It worked wonders at neutralizing that ugly orange color in my hair.

Fast forward a few years to when I came to my senses and realized I looked awful as a brunette and went back to my blonde roots. I grew up in the country with well water, and if you too have well water, you know the rust in the water can turn your platinum locks yellow fast! I also noticed my hair turning yellow in the summer when I spent a lot of time in the sun and pool. I remembered my good experience with color depositing shampoo and picked up some Redken Blonde Glam Pure Pearl, a color depositing treatment. This was thee best product for platinum blondes and a piece of my heart died the day they discontinued it.




My personal fave in the purple shampoo department is Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo, which can be bought at Ulta stores. This shampoo also has a matching conditioner, but I find that the shampoo alone does the trick for me. Simply lather it into your hair, let sit for 3-5 minutes, and then rinse! Warning! If you use purple shampoo too often, it will turn your hair a nasty gray color. It is recommended that you use purple shampoo no more than 2-3 times a week. 

So all my blondies, do yourself a favor and drive yourself to the nearest Ulta/hair salon/beauty supply store and buy yourself a bottle of purple shampoo. You will thank me when your gorgeous highlights (that we know we spend a fortune on) look fresh and brass-free weeks after visiting the salon. 

**If you haven't yet entered my e.l.f. Studio Creme Eyeliner and $15 Target GC Giveaway yet, click here to do so! The giveaway ends Monday, July 16th at midnight EST. Don't miss out!!**


5 comments:

Lala said...

I've always wanted to try life as a blonde, but all of my hair stylists have convinced me otherwise :(

Blue Dog Belle said...

I didn't buy it because it was specifically "purple", but my pureology for platinum shampoo is definitely purple and it has mad SUCH a difference! I can't believe I didn't know about this years ago!

julia rose. said...

YES! YES! YESSS! (Herbel Essences style right there). I just started using purple shampoo within the last year and I absolutely love it. I can definitely tell a difference :)

Ali said...

When I was a blonde- purple shampoo was my best friend! I used Shimmer Lights from Sallys. You make me want to be blonde again!

xo Ali

Unknown said...

Does it count that I've always been told that I should be a blonde?? Lol But I do love being a dark headed gal :)

xoxo